UniRef in collaboration with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies ( IFRC) and the Jordanian Red Crescent ( JRC).
Our local partner, his excellency Dr. Al-Hadid, has provided the JRC facility where the previous educational program was held. with the goal of providing access to information and communication technologies to people who do not have them. Today, many young people face finding decent, dignified, and fulfilling employment. In spite of the strong worldwide progression of new information and communication technologies, these young people sometimes encounter difficulties in handling a computer because they have not received basic computer knowledge;
In 2020, around 5000 students applied to participate in our pilot program. In November 2020, a total of 100 students received a diploma and the program enabled them to develop skills to integrate the formal labor market in Jordan.To meet the demand of our programs, we actively seek partnerships and collaborations with organizations and stakeholders that share our objectives and values. We also need donations to be able to offer these courses to all those in need.
UniRef implemented a new program in January 2023. We provide a fast-track course in Computer Science. This courses addressed to young Syrian refugees in Jordan and jordanian underprivileged youth is provided by an Ivy League university and leads to a professional certificate that will allow the graduates to integrate into the local formal labor market.
The teaching method is hybrid : in UniRef’s classrooms the students have access to computers and follow the online courses with the university’s teachers while being assisted by onsite tutors. The courses are spread over a year and consist of 3 independent units at different learning levels.
As per UNHCR, 83% of Syrian refugees live outside camps in Jordan while among UniRef’s students 75% are Syrian urban refugees. The remaining 25% of UniRef’s students are Jordanian young people who cannot pursue their studies for financial reasons. Including these students from the host community contributes to promoting better integration of refugees cultural mixing and social relationships among things.
In 2023, more than 3000 young students wanted to follow our IT training course. However, as things stand, we will only be able to satisfy 300 of these requests by the end of 2023.